I have always been interested in helping people, as evidenced by my profession as a medical Social Worker. I was introduced to hypnosis when I went to a group hypnosis session for weight loss and healthier living. The hypnotist said he got into this business because his mother had cancer and was unable to take any pain medications. He had heard that hypnosis could help with pain management and asked her if she was willing to try hypnosis. He taught her how to use self-hypnosis to successfully manage her anxiety and pain, which enabled her to live out the remainder her life peacefully and relatively pain-free. The possibility of helping people deal with pain drug-free was huge for me.
During the group hypnosis session, we were given suggestions to motivate us “to easily incorporate exercise into our daily life.” A couple days later, it snowed quite a bit. For some strange reason, I actually wanted to shovel the driveway! Two reasons that is strange: 1) I absolutely hate being out in the cold, and 2), my husband usually snow blows the driveway so no one has to “shovel” the snow. It eventually dawned on me, after this desire to shovel lasted all winter – and an extremely long winter it was – that the hypnosis session “worked.”
Another reason I decided to pursue this interest in hypnosis is that my 12-year-old daughter was having trouble getting to sleep and was also experiencing anxiety related to homework. I decided to see if hypnosis could help her. After two sessions with a hypnotist, along with the continued use of a Sleep Hypnosis CD and the techniques she was taught for anxiety management, she no longer had trouble falling asleep, she was able to manage her anxiety, and her study skills and concentration improved greatly. These results continue to this day.
The power of the subconscious mind is amazing to me. My greatest desire is to teach people self-hypnosis so they can learn to be better friends to themselves.
Education and Credentials:
- Certified Hypnotherapist, National Guild of Hypnotists (NGH)
- Stress Management Consultant, Minnesota Institute of Advanced Communication Skills
- Motivational Coach, Minnesota Institute of Advanced Communication Skills
- Master Practitioner of Neuro Linguistic Programming, Minnesota Institute of Advanced Communication Skills, National Federation of NeuroLinguistic Programming (NFNLP)
- Cognitive Behavioral Coach, Minnesota Institute of Advanced Communication Skills
- B.S. Social Work with focus on Medical Social Work and Case Management, Winona State University
- Social Worker, Licensed by the State of Minnesota